- A polaroid shot of me with a cardboard cutout of Don Johnson (I paid $7 for it, I remember)
- A Mad Magazine circa 1973 (never mind that I was born in '75)
- A US Army issue English to French pocket sized translation book, from World War II
- The black tooth wax that I got for my wicked witch costume - from Halloween of 1985
- A stack of journals in my childhood voice
When I read these journals, I am either laughing or cringing. Mostly cringing. My spelling and grammar are terrible, my handwriting nearly illegible and my thoughts completely juvenile. I guess that's why my children love them.
For some bizarre reason (probably that good old narcissism which comes with having a degree in Theater), I feel compelled to share my ten year old self with you. What better place to start than with the first page:
September 3, 1985
Today is the first day of school. It is fun. Mr. K is my teacher. I just moved in. I met new friends and I like it. I wish I was at my old house with my old friends, but I’m happy I’m here.
I didn’t get to go on vacation because we were buzy moving.
The worst thing I ever ate was frog’s legs. We went to our friends house and my mom said we were going to eat chiken. But I sat at the dinner table eating tons of frogs legs! A few years later I learned they were frog legs. I couldn’t belive it! I don’t like frog’s legs! I thought it was gross when my mom told me. I don’t even think she ate any! I sure hope I never eat them again. Some people like them but I sure don’t! Chiken isn’t bad but frog’s legs! Gee wiz! They taste like chiken when you think they’re chiken though. People can realy be convinsed can’t they (at least I was)? People (my friends) gross out when I tell them I ate frogs legs.